Just a couple quick reminders from your friendly neighborhood veterinary team:
- Don’t leave your pets outdoors – please bring all dogs and cats inside. They cannot tolerate weather this cold
- We don’t recommend you take your pets in the car either – everyone knows not to leave your pet in a hot car in the summer. The same is true in the winter, it can get extremely cold in closed cars very quickly.
- Bundle up! Small dogs, short haired dogs and especially puppies need extra warmth
- Consider some footwear – ice melt, rock salt, and ice can wreak havoc on your pets feet!
- Antifreeze – this tastes sweet and causes acute kidney failure in both dogs and cats. Cats have a particularly low tolerance. Clean up spills and keep your pets AWAY!
Here are some more tips from our friends at the AVMA: